Wednesday, August 1, 2007

blueberries for sal



Okay Chippewa Valley, the catch to this eat local challenge is to start preparing right now. In case you haven't made it out to the berry farm for blueberries there is only about 1.5 weeks left for the blueberry season. Luckily, Charlotte's Berry Farm has tons of berries to pick right now. They sell the berries pre-picked by the pint, or you can pick your own in a gallon pale. It saves you a little money to pick your own, plus you are more likely to get bigger berries if you pick your own. The biggest berries seemed to be on the underside of the berry branches. There were also some on the ground that were easy to snatch up. I suggest going with a friend, bringing a water bottle, and wearing sunscreen. There is little to no shade in the berry patches and it gets warm! I opted for the gallon pale which cost me about $10.88 - well worth it. FYI - Charlotte's does not accept credit cards. Having no cash on me, they sent me home with my bucket of berries on the honor system. I have to run back out there and pay for my berries. I highly doubt Festival Foods uses the honor system these days. Also, raspberries will be ready shortly. You can call Charlotte's at any time and listen to the pre-recorded message stating what berries are ready and when you can pick. 832-7186

Happy picking and don't forget to freeze them!

http://www.pickyourown.org/freezingblueberries.htm

1 comment:

aaron said...

Nice work, Sally! The folks at Charlottes are wonderful people. I'm glad to hear they have a nice crop of blueberries going on! And it's a great idea to freeze local blueberries by the gallon, because if you want them any other time of year they are likely putting on the miles - like on the opposite hemisphere of the earth, where it will be blueberry season in approximately six months...