Friday, August 31, 2007

My take on the challenge...


I first heard of the Eat Local Challenge last spring while attending the ground breaking ceremony for the UWEC Foodlums’ garden in the courtyard of Phillips Science Hall. After the speakers had their say, a lingering group of Foodlums remained to enjoy the sun, the grass, and the remnants of the donated local cuisine. Arwen Rasmussen of A Second Opinion magazine approached our patch of lawn, introduced herself, and proceeded to tell us of some bold San Franciscans called the Localvores. As the story goes, back in 2005 these West-Coasters decided to receive all of their dietary sustenance from within 100 miles for the month of August.
The Localvores have since worked to extend the success of their challenge beyond the bay area, and into local communities around the world. This year the Chippewa Valley is part of the effort slated for the month of September.


Not a futile act, but an actual concerted effort toward change, the Eat Local Challenge stands to draw attention to what so often goes unnoticed. In this ever-increasingly developed world we have grown disconnected from something so simple as eating. There was an age that required our ancestors’ entire waking day just to find adequate nourishment. Today is a bit different. Now we pick up a phone, drive around to the window, or throw it in the microwave. We have become removed from this thing that is instrumental to our very existence.



We have become distanced from our food, both physically and mentally. Minds have moved on to other matters than the dinner plate. And our indifference has bred a far different place setting than that of our grandparents. If as individuals we are too busy to be concerned with our food, then whose job does it become? The task has been left to the hands of corporations – entities that are chiefly concerned with profit, and with quality only to the extent that it moves product. Yes product, today’s diet may as well be of plastic for how the business is run. The produce of the supermarket is engineered for quantity. High yields and a long shelf life to outlast the great distances of shipping. The meal of today travels on average well over 1,000 miles before we stick a fork in it.


The Eat Local Challenge operates at a personal level. Any interested individual is welcome to participate to whatever degree best befits their lifestyle. However, as it is a challenge, folks are asked to make some concessions to their daily routine. There are some who plan to attempt 100% local while others may try a couple meals a week. As little as one local meal a week can be an eye-opener to the array of goods available right here in our valley. The challenge is also intended to be doable. If you cannot go a month without your morning cup of coffee, then make an exception. Some of the common exceptions will be coffee, spices, and oils.


Personally I have resolved to approach the 100% mark as best I can. I do expect to miss my routine coffee and staple oil, so it goes. To lessen the individual burden, one friend proposed the forming of a Third Ward Neighborhood support group. We have spent a while going back and forth over the organizational format. Initial thoughts were to have a group of seven, each person having their specific cooking night. Further deliberation preferred more flexibility to the nightly menu. Not wanting to make a crutch of the support group, we are more apt to convene for dining a few nights a week as opposed to all. It just works that it is easier to manage family portions, and I will no doubt be trying some items that I otherwise would not. Besides, why not one more reason to socialize?


I may be out of luck for my daily coffee, but other sacrifices will have some more latitude. For my love of the fry pan, I can substitute butter for olive oil. Perhaps in a radical mood I may even try my vegetables raw. By default I will be eating out less, though I have been lobbying my favorite businesses to join the effort and tweak their menu.


If not by choice, then by force. Some of my friends are participating without their initially knowing. It happens on frequent occasion that I prepare meals with friends and roommates. For September these mealmates, when I am involved, will also be eating local. What better time than this harvest season to feed friends and allow them a new taste of their own region?


For the masses… a few of us intend to spread sign-up sheets around the town. Multipurpose of course, these documents will serve to measure the level of community participation, as well as create a contact list. Should another restaurant opt to add a 100 mile feature to their menu, then the word can be spread as simple as email. Feel free, as well as strongly encouraged, to sign-up and try one local meal a week. If you can commit to more, kudos, do it.

From my end, I can accept changing my lifestyle. That is, for a month anyway. I may find that a 100 mile diet is not to my taste. Though I figure I can wage these 30 days to make this personal discovery.






...This article will be published in the September issue of The Progressive Outpost...

No comments: