Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Eat Local Breakfast #1


My favorite (and easiest) local meal thus far has to be breakfast. I am a huge fan of breakfast and an even bigger fan of a healthy, filling bowl of oatmeal. To start my day I've been making oats from the Whole Grain MIlling Co. based in Welcome, MN (approximately 243 miles away from Eau Claire). To complement this fiber rich treat I have been adding blueberries that I froze from Charlotte's Berry Farm earlier this summer. I top it off with a little Organic Valley Soymilk (and some not-so-local cinnamon) and I'm ready for my day! I am feeling pretty good about this local addition to my diet and also appreciate the low cost of the meal. I hope everyone is finding themselves equally healthy and filling local meals and I can't wait to hear about them!

3 comments:

Quinlan said...

Great breakfast sharing. Thank you~ Any ideas for juice? My kids (and I) love their OJ in the morning...but I'm not aware of any local citrus growers. Maybe I could puree strawberries and blueberries from the summer that I froze. Hmmm....

aaron said...

We've been drinking apple juice made fresh from local organic apples (36# for $11 if you go to the orchard!). You might also try making grape juice. The time is now to pick your unlimited supply of fresh wild grapes. Look along the bike trails in town and you'll find plenty. At the picnic on Saturday we found tons of grapes in Demmler Park. Interestingly enough, when I worked at a CSA farm in Ridgeland a few years back, I spent over a week pulling down and killing wild grapes, which are an invasive species that can wipe out big old evergreens and other "desirable" vegetation if left unchecked. Anyhow, we make grape juice by soaking and sorting the grapes, then putting them in a large kettle and heating them gently while mashing them with a brick or potato masher or fists or feet. Then we pour that mashed liquid and pulp into a jelly strainer. Grape juice. Add sugar, or apple juice, or kombucha...

Anonymous said...

Cherry juice! normally $3.50 when bought frozen is readily available by mashing your own. The best picking is usually around the start of the Tour de France. We mix it with apple or raspberry to get distinct flavors